I hope you have all been safe and well over the summer period.
With Easter upon us, it is time to start preparing for the Dragons Basketball Season!
My name is Andrew Chin and I am the new Co-ordinator for the Dragons Junior Basketball program. I am a long-time Dragons member and have been involved with the Junior program for the past 10+ years. I have 3 kids who participate in the biniball and tiniball grades, and my wife Kim, is a tiniball coach this year.
I would like to start by acknowledging my predecessor, Ed Szeto for his contribution to the junior program over many years. Thank you for the time and effort you put in to leading the Junior program. We hope to continue your good work and live up to the standards you have set.
With the premature end of the 2021 season, I would also like to thank all of the 2021 coaches! In particular, Ken Chao and Ants Yee, who have stepped away this year with their youngest children moving on to the college grades. Both Ants and Ken have been coaching our kids for many years and will be missed.
In 2022, we are planning for a full season (fingers crossed) and we have an eager team of coaches ready to get started! The first practice is scheduled for Sunday 1st May 10am-11.30am at Walter Nash Stadium. The first half of the practice schedule is attached.
Please note the following age grades:
- Biniball – 3- 5 years old. Parent supervision essential.
- Tiniball – 5-7 years old
- Miniball – 8 years old to school year 6
- Intermediates – School years 7 and 8
Please ensure your child starts the season in their allocated grade. If appropriate, some children may be asked to move up or down a grade at the sole discretion of the coaches involved.
We are conscious of the current covid-19 situation and the health of our members. We have been working closely with Walter Nash Staff to ensure we are operating safely. Please be aware of the following rules that we must abide by under the current covid “Red light” setting:
- Strictly no spectators
- Intermediate and miniballers must be dropped off and picked up at the Taine Street entrance.
- Due to their age, biniball and tiniball children may be accompanied by one adult “helper” per child.
- Everyone over 12 years of age must wear face masks at all times (excluding coaches while on court).
- No Pass outs – Once you leave the gym, you cannot re-enter e.g to fill a drink bottle. Please ensure all kids have full drink bottles and have visited the toilets prior to practice.
- We encourage social distancing of 1m when possible.
The 2022 membership fees are not payable as yet. We will advise you when this is open and available via our website www.dragons.org.nz
If you know of any new members wanting to join this year, please ask them to contact me via email (email@example.com) before the start of the season. (Note - I am not on social media).
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing a gym full of happy kids again soon!
Andrew Chin (AC)
On behalf of the Dragons Junior Basketball Subcommittee